Thanks to everyone who filled out our Shop Local, Shop Corbett survey. We have received nearly 250 surveys, full of great ideas for injecting new life into our shopping parades.
The surveys give a clear message that respondents would use new shops and services if they were available. Here are a few headlines:
- 98% of respondents would like to see more variety of shops and services on the Corbett Estate.
- High on the list of priorities are: a bakery, more cafés (especially child-friendly ones), fresh groceries, fruit and veg, fishmonger, pop up restaurants and venues for the community to meet and socialise.
- An overwhelming majority of people travel by car, bus, train or on foot to shops in other areas: Lewisham, Blackheath, Sydenham, Catford town centre, Bromley, etc. (Nearly 50% travel by car.)
- Less than a quarter of respondents prefer to shop on-line.
- Responses came from people living right across the estate. More than half of respondents said they would be willing to help the campaign once in a while.
It will take us a little while to analyse survey comments in detail. We will publish full survey results as soon as they are available.
The surveys provide valuable evidence of local shopping demand that we can use to influence neighbourhood planning, support existing traders, and encourage new retailers to invest in our area. Watch this space for news of our next steps.
And don’t miss the survey prize draw at the opening of the Abbotshall Road Healthy Lifestyle Centre on Monday 25 May. Heidi Alexander MP will draw one lucky winner of our £25 local shopping voucher, kindly donated by David Oakman & Sons, Family Butcher, on Muirkirk Road.
If you did not get a chance to complete the survey, you can still do so here until Friday 29 May. The deadline for entry to the prize draw has passed, but we would love to hear your views.